Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday Night Local: Th' Dudes, 'Be Mine Tonight' (1979)

Another quick post tonight: It was Mrs Simian's birthday last week, so this is for her:



Wow - Dave Dobbyn looks skinny here, there's no sign of Pete Urlich, and we really lost a great songwriter in Ian Morris a couple of years back (Morris co-wrote this one.) Be Mine Tonight was released as a double A-side with another great Dudes song and a personal favourite Walking in Light, a song that at the time I couldn't divorce from The Rolling Stones' contemporaneous Emotional Rescue and still sort of can't.

It was a close call deciding which video to put up this week - Walking in Light definitely has the better look (more wire-haired, wire-limbed guitar legend Dobbyn can't be a bad thing), but Be Mine Tonight has a nicer guitar line, more interesting verse to chorus progression, and I rather like the coda as well. No contest!

1 comment:

  1. Splendid songs, both of them! Be mine tonight is an anthem appearing on almost every compilation disc I've ver made and and walking in light, far from reminding me of the Stones like you, reminded me instead of, ahem, Daleks with the almost mechanical implacable repetition of "I'm walking in light, I'm walking in light... Love it!

    ReplyDelete